Make Delegation More Effective for Your Top People
Our Blogs have covered a number of topics related to team-work and cooperation for effective delegation and assignment execution. This process and management skill has become front page news lately. The fastest growing companies, those adapting to the performance requirements of a tough economic environment, are evolving to more horizontal organization structures. There are many important productivity outcomes. Building high-productivity teams will depend on it.
Why “horizontal org. and where does collaboration fit into this dynamic?
Horizontal organizations break down the normal silo-hierarchy, the traditional company structure. This allows much more efficient and effective cross-LOB and cross-functional cooperation. People work together. They cooperate and share resources. They are more efficient because they waste little time moving past the old silos. This allows companies to execute faster and move ideas and products to market quicker. It becomes a competitive advantage.
Managing team collaboration
The key requirement to adapt the more horizontal structure is to move toward Collaboration. There are specific key skills and traits supporting a collaborative culture. Among them;
- The teamwork is the focus and people who are adept at teamwork are valued.
- Emphasize “team togetherness” where cooperation is King/Queen.
- Encourage open dialogue and encourage idea exchanges, this can even include supporting constructive differences of opinion as long as a unified result is the goal.
- Managers establish crystal clear objectives and define both individual and team responsibility. They leave no confusion of roles. This is part of mastering effective delegation and there are resources available to help with this skill.
- A mind-set of total open cooperation across lines of business is fostered. “Help others with their assignments anyway you can” is the watch word.
- Wherever team-success and cross-functional cooperation results in success, the managers recognize, reward and encourage this result.
Tapping into Available resources for collaboration
In a business world where performance, results and success are the top priorities, a collaborative model is much more efficient. There are valuable resources embedded in all companies that can be tapped. Someone may be a “supply management specialist” in one business unit but have skills and ideas that may be outside the “job box” that could help another business unit with their assignment. People who collaborate help to remove obstacles and assist in moving project steps forward. The cooperators get rid of red-tape. This meshing of skills, abilities and sharing creates efficiency and improves what I call the Velocity of Execution.
If you manage a company or business unit, the requirement for success right now means going Horizontal & Collaborative. The market is moving fast. Companies that want to grow and adapt to market changes need a high-performance strategy. The direction is “Collaborative Management” structures. Don’t miss the train because it is already leaving the station!
Learn The Dynamics of Delegation: You can learn more from our e-books, “Management By Delegation” and “Delegating Through the Lens of the Employee” bringing real world experience and proven tools to managers world wide. Our Programs provide tested procedures, proven skills and valuable management delegation insights for those who manage people for results.